This is your first one-on-one with your report, use this meeting to establish a base for future one-on-one meetings. Start to build rapport, get to know each other, and then spend some time sharing how you both would like to conduct future one-on-one meetings and what topics should get more attention.
Opening (~ 5 minutes)
- How's life?
- What do you like to do in your free time? What are your hobbies?
- What motivates you come to work everyday?
- What are your favorite things to work on? What do you feel are your strengths?
Setting expectation for one-on-one meeting (~ 10 minutes)
- What makes 1:1s the most valuable for you?
- What time and how often do you think we could meet?
- What aspect of your job you would like more help or coaching?
- How would you like to receive your feedback?
Projects/works (~ 5 minutes)
- How clear is the current priorities to you?
- Do you have any question about the team/company?
- For the past two weeks, what have you feel frustrated?
Career conversation (~ 5 minutes)
- Are there any professional goals or aspirations you've set for yourself in the upcoming years?
- How do you think you could approach the goals?
- How can I support you as a manager in reaching those goals? How can the organization support you in reaching those goals?
Next step/take away (~ 5 minutes)
Discuss the agreed action items and decisions, and how would you both like to follow up.