The career conversation meeting focuses on helping the employee to identify their career goal, developing an action plan, and also follow up on previous action plan developed. This is a good time for you to help your employees to improve their capabilities for bigger contribution.
The meeting typically occurs every 6 months or a year, depending on the employee or job nature. You can ask them how often they would like to talk about it, an aspiring employee might need more frequent conversation as they are improving rapidly and constantly seeking new challenges.
After you have identified their career goal, and develop an action plan for achieving it. You can then allocate some time during the regular one-on-one meetings to follow up on the plan. Here we will share a basic template for you to get started, feel free to adapt it for your needs.
Goals (~20 minutes)
- Whats has been you want to do more?
- What are your dreams? (ask them to list down 3~5 dreams)
Action Plan (~20 minutes)
- What are the skills that can help you to reach your dreams?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate these skills?
- How would a 10 look like?
- What would it takes to increase this skill by 1? (ask them to list down at least 3 options)
- What would be the best way to approach this? (Analyze the pros, cons, tradeoffs...)
- How do you think you can realistically achieve in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months?
Discuss next step (~20 minutes)
- What could you start to do now?
- What do you think you can achieve from now until we meet next time?
- How would you like us to follow up?
- Are there any professional goals or aspirations you've set for yourself in the upcoming years?
- What are your long term goals? Have you thought about them?
- What do you want to be doing in 5 years? 10 years? 3 years?
- What skills would you like to develop? What do you want to learn more about?
- What have you been wanting to learn more of, get better at, and improve on?
- One year from now, ideally, what kinds of skills do you want to become better at, or projects do you hope you will have taken on
- What do you think are needed to achieve these goals?
- Among these options, which of it makes the most sense?
- What could hinder you from achieving these goals?
- What challenges do you foresee in achieving these goals?
- What support do you need and from whom?
- By what date do you think you can reach this goal?
- How realistic are these goals?